How to qualify for the 2018 – 2022 Tax Credit
- Purchase and install ENERGY STAR® certified products beginning January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2022. Tax credit is for cost of product only – it does not include installation costs. Tax credit is for taxpayer’s principal residence only. New construction and rentals do not apply.
- This act enables homeowners to receive a tax credit for 10% of the product cost or a maximum amount of $200 for qualifying windows and 10% of the product costs or a maximum amount of $500 for qualifying doors (cannot exceed $500 total tax credit).
If the homeowner has claimed a Non-business Energy Property Tax Credit of $500 or more in the 2006 through 2017 tax years, they are not eligible for this tax credit for 2018 – 2022.
- The homeowner may be required to have a Manufacturer’s Certification Statement to qualify for the tax credit. This is a signed statement from the manufacturer certifying that the product or component listed qualifies for the 2018-2022 tax credits.
The taxpayer should keep a copy of this certification statement and purchase receipts for their records, but does not have to submit a copy with their tax return.
- Tax credits are administered by the IRS. You will have to claim the credit using the form below and submitting it with your tax returns to the IRS.
Form 5695 Instructions: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i5695
Form 5695: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5695.pdf
Click here to view and download the 2018-2022 TAX CREDIT STATEMENT FOR PROVIA® ENTRY DOORS
How to qualify for the 2023 – 2032 Tax Credit
- Purchase and install Energy Star certified items between January 1, 2023 and December 31, 2032. Tax credit is for the cost of the product only – it does not include installation. Tax credit is for principle residence ONLY, rental and/or investment properties and new construction do not qualify.
- This ANNUAL tax credit enables homeowners to receive a tax credit of 30% of the product cost or a maximum amount of $600 for windows and $250 per door ($500 maximum door credit allowed) each qualifying year. Total credits for any given year cannot exceed $1,200 for and combination of windows, doors and/or shades.
Tax credit requirements are changing relating to the U-value of your windows.
Click HERE to open a page on the IRS website with frequently asked questions about energy efficient home improvements and residential clean energy property credits (irs.gov).